Friday 4 March 2016

(Jeju travel Mr.Dee) Olle market

*Notice – This article is written by non-native English speaker.
I went to the Olleh daily market in my town Seogwipo today.
The old name of the market was Seogwipo daily market but it has been changed to Olleh market now.
Well…. the name ‘Olleh’ is quite popular in Jeju island these days since the ‘Olleh Trekking’ courses has been developed.
Anyway we have two traditional markets in Seogwipo city.
One is ‘Olleh daily market’ and the other is ‘Five days traditional market’.
Let’s have a look around ‘Olleh daily market’



It is an entrance of the market with loudly neon signs.
They think this loudly neon signs attract tourists but it is not a traditional market any more for me which I went with my mom. However, it became modern and convenient and seems more people like it.
Even though people tend to shopping mall or convenient store to buy things these days, it is no wonder that local market is an important place to buy things.



Small sushi restaurants are quite famous in ‘Olleh daily market’.
They will cook sushi immediately before you and the food is very delicious with low price.
Do you know that? there are so many restaurant got success from here. The famous ‘Twin Sushi Restaurant’ started business from this market.
Do you want to start business? then start from a traditional market.



Do you know ‘So-ju’ ? ‘So-ju’ is Korean traditional rice distilled wine.
Locals get together at the corner of the market and drink ‘So-Ju’ with well sliced sushi in hot summer night. It is a kind of their joy they can get after hard work of the day.
The restaurant’s warm hospitality always put people in a relaxed mood and have time goes so fast as they enjoy night time with drinking alcohol with good food and they forget the hot weather.
It is a life of local people in hot summer night.



You can’t miss street food in a local market.
My mom always got the food in my hand when we went to a market together. Then I always smiled at her with satisfaction. Now my little boy always asked me to buy street food.
Well…. I do same as my mom did.





Fruits store…..
One of the most popular places in a market.
The sign in the store says ‘ Hallabong is cheap’. Hallabong is more like tangelo which is a bog tangerine.
I didn’t ask the price but I assume it is very expensive because summer is not a season for tangelo.
However, if you want to buy fruits I recommend the seasonal fruits such as watermelon or peach.




My town Seogwipo is very famous for tangerines and they are rich in vitamins
In Jeju island we grow most tangerines in Korea and export them to the main land.
The price is 5000 won for 1 small fruit basket. I think it’s reasonable price.
I hesitated to buy them and decided to buy until it comes right season.




The local market was out door but it becomes a indoor market now.
The ceiling is so artistic and it has even fountain in the middle of the walking path.
It looks like shopping mall rather than a traditional market in my eyes. Now you can hardly see people are crowed shouting and busking. However, becoming a indoor market is very useful when it rains.





This is Jeju traditioanl Gal-ot market.
In old time Jeju didn’t have much materials to dye cloth so that in summer time people dyed cloth with persimmon. Now it becomes Jeju traditional working clothes.
This clothes is good breathable and natural friendly and still people enjoy wearing them.


Abalone is one of the best Jeju indigenous product.
They are displayed according to diverse sizes. Abalones are caught by diver-woman traditionally but now they are grown in a sea farm. Natural ones are so expensive these days.
However, abalones are common side dish on the local dining table in Jeju island thanks to sea farm.


This corner is a small version of NamDaeMun market which is the largest clothing market in Seoul.
There are diverse and not expensive clothes you can pick up any time in here. They are very economical and fashionable.
I was very tempted to buy one of them…..


This is Kimchi market.
You can taste all kinds of Kimchi here. They even deliver their kimchi to all over the country.
I think the Kimchi in this store is famous in the entire country.


This is fish market.
Normally in Jeju island we dried fish like this to eat.
Well….. This Olleh market is not much different from other local markets.
I think most of traditional market in Korea become standardized domestically which is I don’t agree with.
I hope we have more unique market in Seogwipo…..
When I was young the market street was jammed with cheerful and happy crowds sounds. The sound of selling and busking was never discontinued.
I miss the sounds which brought me back to memories of happy years.
But it has gone now…….


No comments:

Post a Comment